If you're anything like us then you go through your share of yoga mats. If it's faded, stinky, worn to its last days or you just got a prettier one that you like better, you may still hate to completely part with your old pal. Fear not! Even if you have to put your old yoga mat out of commission we have several options for you! Upcycling benefits you and the environment, so why not try out a couple of these mat upcycling hacks!
1) Donate it. In this case you ARE actually parting with your mat, but it's for a great cause! Homeless shelters use them for sleeping pads and animal shelters use them to line the crates for boarding. Give your local shelter a call and feel good knowing that you gave that old mat another chance to help someone else.
2) Cut it up! You can cut your mat up for MANY uses.
6) Safety MATters: Use your old mat as a non slip mat in your mudroom or your bathroom. If you want to go the extra mile and spruce it up with a new design. You can use vinyl stickers for a monogram, spray paint and stencils for a witty saying, or (for the extra crafty) freehand the Nashville skyline.
7) Can Koozie: Cut a strip of your old mat about 10 inches long and 4 inches wide. Make sure you have a little alteration room - depending on the thickness of your mat. Connect the two ends and glue them together. After that dries, cut another strip to glue to the bottom to keep your can from falling out! One mat can make SEVERAL koozies - perfect for a party!
8) Bulletin Board: Put your mat up somewhere to display your favorite memories, keep shopping and to-do lists or to put up your schedule for the week. This is especially useful for upcycling thicker mats. Some straight pins and something to pin up.... that's all you need!